0

Millar: Fears raised over Conwy Tourism Tax proposal


May 18, 2026 - 141 views

The leader of the Welsh Conservatives has claimed a proposed tourism levy in Conwy could damage the North Wales visitor economy as the county council prepares to launch a public consultation on the scheme.

Darren Millar said he fears the charge could deter visitors from holidaying in the region and reduce spending in local businesses already facing economic pressures.

The comments come after Conwy County Borough Council confirmed it will launch a nine-week consultation into whether a visitor levy should be introduced in the county.

The consultation is due to begin shortly on May 20 and will run until July 22.

The proposed levy follows legislation introduced by the previous Welsh Labour Government, which gave local authorities the power to introduce a charge on overnight stays in visitor accommodation, including hotels, guesthouses, self-catering properties and campsites.

Supporters of the policy argue the levy could generate additional income to help councils maintain tourism infrastructure, public toilets, beaches, car parks, footpaths and other services heavily used by visitors, particularly during peak holiday periods.

Advocates have also pointed to similar schemes operating in popular tourist destinations across Europe, saying the money raised could be reinvested directly into local communities and visitor facilities.

However, opponents — particularly within the tourism industry and among Conservative politicians — have argued the measure risks making North Wales less competitive at a time when businesses are already dealing with rising operating costs and changing visitor habits.

Mr Millar, who has repeatedly opposed the proposal in the Senedd, claimed the tax had the “potential to ruin” the visitor economy in parts of Wales reliant on tourism.

He said: “Anything that pushes up the cost of holidays or breaks for families that are already struggling with cost-of-living challenges is a bad thing.

“The people who visit Conwy and other parts of North Wales are often price-sensitive visitors. If someone comes on a holiday and it costs them an extra £84 for a fortnight for a family of four, that’s money that can’t be spent on local shops and businesses.”

Mr Millar also claimed some potential visitors had already indicated on social media they may choose alternative destinations if additional charges are introduced.

He added: “North Wales is not Venice or Barcelona. We aren’t overrun with tourists, we want more people to visit here and spend their money into our local economy.”

As reported previously, supporters of the levy say tourism places significant pressure on local services and infrastructure, particularly in coastal areas and honeypot destinations during busy holiday periods.

Some councils and campaigners in favour of the scheme argue local taxpayers currently shoulder much of the financial burden for maintaining facilities used by millions of visitors each year, while a small overnight charge could help create a more sustainable tourism model.

The Welsh Government has previously said any levy introduced would be decided locally by councils rather than imposed nationally, with authorities able to determine whether the benefits outweigh any potential economic risks.

Under the proposed timetable, if Conwy County Borough Council decides to adopt the levy before September 30 this year, the earliest it could come into force would be October 1, 2027, following a mandatory 12-month notice period.

The consultation process is expected to gather views from residents, tourism businesses, visitors and industry groups before councillors make a final decision later this year.